Thursday, April 19, 2012

Training @ Maharlika Martial Arts: April 17, 2012

Guro Bob was not able to attend class, so I was able help David and Mosi instruct tonight. We started class by reviewing 5-count passing drill. We then drilled the grappling isolation for each count. Later, we free-flowed. Free-flow is done usually with one person with a blade (Feeder), but as a Receiver you can try to regain the upper hand to cross-tap, strip, disrupt or disarm (if you can). Mosi suggested that we try to flow smoothly and not in a jerky motion. . . trying to implement technique instead of power and speed during free flow.

Later, David had us try something new. Feeder and Receiver stood back to back. When Feeder initiated movement, that's when the fight would begin. It was an intriguing exercise, because David was trying to create that element of surprise. That was quite interesting. I wished we had more time to play with that. 

One element that I have to work on is my attempt to add strikes or disruptions when I'm the Receiver during the flow. I feel like I'm able to parry most of the attacks that a Feeder might use. Hopefully, I'll try mixing it in with my cross-tapping.

Cool... Be the Feeder!

No comments: