Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Projectile Training with Joe Cypressi

I traveled up to Baltimore to train projectiles up at Joe Cypressi's this past weekend. He had three areas to practice projectiles. I tried the bow and arrow first. It was about 30 ft out. I was trying my best to conjure up my "Robin Hood" skills, but I never got close to my first arrow. The next station I tried was throwing tomahawks. We practiced throwing the tomahawk from a running start and closing in to hit the target with another tomahawk (no-rotation) Also, we got to throw knives from no-rotation, half-rotation, to full-rotation. The last one I tried was the atlatl. I wasn't able to land any on the targets. I wish I got the body mechanics of the throw, because I was making the back end of the spear pull to the left more. But here's probably a better video to show on how to throw an atlatl. From Ray's Atlatls blog:



Training back at my place: April 1, 2012
Attendees:
Lem
Tavon

Notes:
3 of 9 rh/lh template; simultaneous 
3 of 9 true left
TD 1-4 
Receiver grips
Projectiles with blades

No comments: