Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sharing a Part of My Culture

Growing up I liked watching martial arts movies that had a lot of kicks and punches. I was born and raised in America so when I first heard about about FMA, I was surprised to read about it through some Blackbelt magazines. I never knew Philippines had there own martial arts back then. I already liked movies that had a lot of action. I grew up idolizing Bruce Lee and watched all his movies. But I was intrigued that Philippines had there own martial arts and wanted to know more about it. My first experience with FMA was when I was about 10 year's old, I asked my dad if he knew anything about it.

He started telling me that he learned 'stuff' when he was in the filipino army serving in Vietnam. I asked him to show me some moves. He told me to get the bolo's out. Bolo's are like machete's here in the US. So he told me to swing at him. I wasn't sure about this so I slowly tried to hit him with a head shot (left temple). He stepped back and swung the bolo in an upward motion toward my wrist. I was scared because we were using live blades (I thought he'd be showing some empty hand techniques). So I said thank you for showing me. He didn't let me leave that easily. So he motioned me to try to hit him on the his right side. I tried . . . and he countered it by stepping back and aiming for my wrist again.

Looking back to that memory, I realized that not many people knew about FMA. I think in part because the filipino culture is to adapt and simulate into the environment. Only recently, people are getting cultured in the FMA through movies like Bourne Identity series, Hunted, and The Book of Eli to name a few. I think it will continue to be useful for anyone to learn. Not only should people see the value of learning how to punch, kick and grapple but how to use a weapon. Because not everyone likes to play fare in the streets:)

No comments: