Monday, August 11, 2014

Atienza Kali Training Group Session: Aug 2014



We had a good time at the AK (Atienza Kali) training session with Guro Leo Manalo. Hosted by Guro Joey Marana of Maharlika Martial Arts. We talked a little before the training and caught up with everyone again. It was good to see Guro Dr Bob in the mix as well.

We first reviewed Bolo Evo 1 in the beginning. Then, we learned a new application with the knife vs bolo. Very hard to describe the feeling of almost getting hit by the bolo. I had to learn to close in before the bolo-feeder had time to react. After that, we got to experience some RCE's. Very cool way to train your drills. It's not really sparring or drilling or exercising... but you are doing all of them at the same period of time. After that workout, I was panting for air. Luckily, we had to break for lunch.

After a hearty meal, Guro Leo geared up with his armor and said that each one of us had to go through RCE's and apply what we learned in the Bolo Evo 1. This exercise was going to test our skills. We ran it three times. By my third round, my technique was sloppy and was barely getting my shots in. At least, I think I deflected or passed most of Guro Leo's attacks. But maybe it was my lack of oxygen to my brain telling me that?


Archery was our next training. Practiced shooting with a bow. Then, we trained drawing our bolo after shooting an arrow. Team's of two tactic's and maneuvering. Although, no one seriously got hurt. One of the guys had to sit out because he got a big hematoma from the recoil of the bow's string.

In the end, we all had a good time. We learned some new ways to install our drills and get exercise. Team tactics with bow and blade manipulation.

No comments: