Friday, August 5, 2011

Visiting Maharlika Martial Arts (MMA). Aug. 2

I was able to go through phase 2 for 3 of 9 with Joe Cypressi and David Davis. A lot of good pointers to remember from Guro Bob. I wasn't able to hit the finger jab on the first two hits. I thought it was my height, because I'm short (lol) and David is tall. However, Guro Bob pointed out that I needed to throw the finger jab before he threw his first shot. After that advice, I was able to hit my target without having to be super fast or tall.

After that, we worked on TD1 (receiver with blade). The receiver looks for targets while the feeder performs TD1. Points to remember: can have countless amount of targets for each move. Having one way is not always the only way.

Last part of class, we worked on a hold-up scenario with a blade. Attacker holds a blade to your neck and pushes you (receiver) against the wall. Receiver puts his hands up while shrugging shoulders forward and turning his head away from the blade. Then, as the receiver brings up his hands, quickly tap the attackers blade to get away. Points to remember: create space, move outside/behind attacker's blade arm. The more space you create between you and the attacker, the better chance of escaping without vital injury.

No comments: